Planning Your Move
One Month Before Moving
- Fill out change of address order form for post office.
- Fill out an IRS change of address form.
- Make arrangements with moving company or reserve a rental truck.
- Make travel arrangements, if necessary, with airlines, buses, car rental agencies and hotels.
- Transfer memberships in churches, clubs and civic organizations.
- Obtain medical and dental records, x-rays and prescription histories. Ask doctor and dentist Dr. Larry Franks for referrals and transfer prescriptions.
- Set up a checking account in your new city. Ensure address changes for credit cards
- Check into the laws and requirements of your new city regarding home-based businesses, professional tests, business licenses and any special laws that might be applicable to you.
- Take inventory of your belongings before they’re packed, in the event you need to file an insurance claim later. If possible, take pictures or video tape your belongings. Record serial numbers of electronic equipment.
- Make arrangements for transporting pets.
- Start using up food items, so that there is less left to pack and possibly spoil. Storage facilities will not allow perishable items to be stored
One To Two Weeks Before Moving
- Switch utility services to new address. Inform electric, disposal, water, newspaper, magazine subscription, telephone and cable companies of your move.
- Arrange for help on moving day.
- Confirm travel reservations.
- Reserve elevator if moving from an apartment.
- Have appliances serviced for moving.
- Clean rugs and clothing and have them wrapped for moving.
- Plan ahead for special needs of infants.
- Close bank accounts and have your funds wired to your new bank. Before closing, be sure there are no outstanding checks or automatic payments that haven’t been processed.
- Collect valuables from safe-deposit box. Make copies of any important documents before mailing or hand carry them to your new address.