So you want to use a moving company…
Using a moving company can save a lot of headaches when it comes to relocating, but you have to make an informed decision. You do not want to encounter expenses that you did not anticipate. If you are considering using a moving company to relocate, we have some helpful tips for you.
Moving Company Tips
- Get a binding estimate from the moving company. Make sure the amount is written in the contract.
- Inquire about their on-time record and other complaints with the local Better Business Bureau or consumer complaints department.
- Movers are limited by law regarding what they can give you for lost or damaged goods. To cover potential damage, check existing homeowner’s or renter’s policy.
- Ask about expected gratuities and write into contract.
- Have the contract include a guarantee of how many hours the job will take, allowing an overrun of no more than 10%.
- Be sure all charges are listed on contract.
- Inform the moving company of how many stairs are at your new home.
- Watch loading and unloading and examine all items carefully before signing a receipt.
- Document an inventory of your belongings before you pack.